Thursday, February 24, 2011

Technology and Social Interaction

The spread of technology in today’s society promotes social interaction more convenient and efficient. Because of Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and Tumblr, I rarely have face time with my friends anymore. How I see it, is that this actually benefits me more or less. Usually, I am so caught up with school and work that I rarely have time for my friends. I find it difficult to arrange a small lunch with my friends from a busy schedule of mine and theirs. At least with Facebook, we are able to see how our friends are doing and what’s been new in their life. This definitely makes me feel like I have not completely been out of their life.

In terms of using internet to meet other people, I feel like it is a good way of creating meaningful relationships and network around the community. I am a car enthusiast and I go on forums to meet with other people with similar interest. I feel like it is easier to connect with other people who have a common interest as I am. I have more topics to talk about instead of randomly asking questions about a stranger’s life that I have no I idea what their interests are. I believe that we are not neglecting our everyday relationships. We only neglect them if we chose to. I also believe that friends come and go. If we want something, then we must work for it. That being said, if we want to keep our friends, we must work for it. After all, “It takes two to tango”.

As a society, I do not think we need to focus on creating more “real” spaces/public spheres for people to connect and discuss meaningful political and social issues. We already have enough in our hands. I believe that the reason why so many of us complain that time has gone by so quick is because most of us wish we wanted more time to do things that needed to be done. Thus, internet technology today is the most convenient way to connect with others with similar interest. Most of us have cell phones and access to the internet. We live in a society that we are so good at multitasking. We can tweet and at the same time have lunch with friends, family, coworkers, etc.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that we need to spend more face time communication and how social media sites allows us to not completely lose connection with our friends. However, I disagree with meeting friends through the internet. Even though they may share a common interest, it makes me uncomfortable not knowing who they really are. On the internet it is so easy to be someone you are not. Therefore, I am always cautious and worried about what or who may be real and unreal.

    ReplyDelete