Friday, February 11, 2011

Social Networking and Privacy

Social networking sites have become a modern trend in many people’s lives in today’s society. I don’t often use social networking websites just because of the privacy issue. As I grow older into my adulthood, I shy myself from using social networking sites. I do use Facebook but not as often like most users. I remember in junior high Xanga was the trend, then in high school I started using Myspace. Now, I have started utilizing Facebook. I think Facebook is a great social networking website for school, work, and personal usage. Unfortunately, it is a dangerous tool for some people. One lesson I learned from my experience is that messages travel quickly. It will start off from friends to family to acquaintances, and then even also to strangers. Without thinking of the consequences, users display their personal information. I prefer to connect with my friends through my phone than Facebook. Other than Facebook, I do not have Twitter or FourSquare account. I have a Tumblr account that I use to only read other people’s blogs, instead of writing my own. Again, I get paranoid of others reading about life, thoughts, and interest.
  
I’ve seen people who constantly check their phones for texts and updates on Facebook. Phone is one of the necessities that I need on the daily. I spend my time texting at least 20-30 times a day. Texting is more efficient to send a quick message regarding about school, work, or a brief message of “Hey, how are you?” I rarely leave my phone at home, and when I do, I feel as if a part of me is missing. Facebook is more efficient to connect with old friends and new friends. It is a tool to get to know them a bit more or catch up on old things.

A few years ago Myspace was on the news. The purpose of the news was to warn Myspace users that child predators make fake accounts to lure children into their hands. I believe the cultural move on teens brings about a negative trend on the whole. Teenagers are still naïve with a lot of curiosity in their minds. Even when I was young, I gave out my AIM screen names at twice a week. I even ask for their screen names too. At the time, I felt the need to fit in with the popular groups so I started making more friends on Myspace. Making friends online seemed to be easier and I actually had fun doing it. The question is, who was it really that I was talking to?
  
The positive side of it is that it someone once said that, “it is not what you know, but who you know”. In this business world, having a network of people you know and get in touch with can get your foot in the door if you are looking for a job. Most companies rather hire someone that is referred to than having a resume turned at the receptionist desk. At the same time, what you say on Facebook is never private, yet some users fail to be aware of it. I also find that social networking sites can be a distraction from their priorities. People begin to engage in “poking” their friends than to focus in school and/or work. 

I get paranoid of people going through my belongings without my consent. I have been very careful of what I say and what I post online. Even so, there are times that I have regretted the things I posted. Back in my high school years, I often blog about my emotions, especially when I get angry. I realized the things I have said in the past may offended or hurt other’s feelings.

I am careful of what I say either through text or Facebook. I know what I say is not private and that people do talk and gossip. However, because my work revolves around kids, I have to be extra careful leaving my phone on the table or leave my computer on. On some level I have the tendency to keep my eyes on who looks at what I do.

2 comments:

  1. I found the fact that when you leave your cell phone somewhere "part of you is missing" to be very relate able. It must be part of our generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very true almost everyone I know that has a cellphone cannot leave it for more than a couple of hours. I know for a fact that if I leave it somewhere I feel that a part of me is missing. I end up feeling like im lost and disconnected, unable to communicate with the outside "world".

    ReplyDelete