Monday, March 7, 2011

Government Eyes Crackdown On Texting And Driving

Do you get annoy when you drive behind bad drivers? When I say bad drivers, it does not mean that they are not good at driving. Bad drivers to me would define as those who do not pay attention to the road. I have been driving ever since I was sixteen. Drivers that aggravate me the most are those who talk and text on the phone while driving. I will list a few examples. I have noticed that drivers who talk and text at the same time seem to get out of focus. They drive like grandmas, do not check for blind spots when they change lanes, or realized that the stop lights had turned red ten seconds ago! Distractions while driving can lead to brutal consequences for friends and family members.

Without a doubt, drinking and driving is definitely dangerous. How about talking on mobile phones or texting while driving? Which would you rate being the most dangerous? Not too long ago, the State of California has strictly regulated the usage of hand-held cell phones while driving. Cell phones is the now “new drunk drivers”. If someone told me this back when I was in high school, I would have thought otherwise. Why would you risk your life because of a cell phone? That would be my initial reaction. Being the arrogant person I was, I finally realized how addicting cell phones can be.

As I try not to be the hypocritical person I am, I must confess that California laws are not stopping me. So far (knock on wood), I have not been caught for talking and texting while driving. Law enforcement can only help relieve the problem, but it will not solve the problem. Maybe the opposition for cell phones is not strictly regulated. Maybe the fines should increase to $5000.00.

We live in a society where technology advancement continues to grow at an alarming rate. Each and everyday many people are amazed by the new gadgets that have been released. Researchers predict emerging technologies will focus on preventing drivers from being distracted. In the near future, cells phones could potentially automatically shut off when users are driving. Vehicles in the future could emit audible warnings to alarm drivers who have their eyes off the road for too long. The front window shield could possibly transplant an LED image. It detects pedestrians or when a vehicle comes close in contact with another vehicle. Again, like I said in my previous post, all of these innovative technologies cost a fortune to put in practice. 


http://www.npr.org/2010/12/23/132276811/The-Last-Word-In-Business

No comments:

Post a Comment